Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's not funny...it's chocolate!

So I love to cook. Even more, I love to eat what I cook, so it’s pretty important to me that things taste good. I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I’m pretty good. I can make just about anything, but there are two very simple things that continue to elude me even after many, many disastrous attempts. I cannot fry chicken or make a decent brownie. I just can’t figure out how to get the chicken done without burning the crust. This results in either bloody chicken or some kind of fried chicken jerky. Either way, it’s not delicious.
Brownies are always too soft and cake like or so gooey they fall apart. Even the mixes don’t turn out the way I want them to. I want to make those dense, rich almost fudge-like brownies you buy in the bakery. The ones that are so good that you don’t want to move anything but your mouth because you don’t want to waste any energy that you could be using for tasting. So I decided to forgo the recipes altogether and just make something that would taste good. After 5 attempts I have succeeded. I have made the perfect brownie…but I didn’t write down the recipe because I was making it up as I went along. So I made it again, and this time I wrote it down. I am selflessly sharing my masterpiece with the masses. There’s no need to erect statues or name hospitals in my honor, I’m glad to do my part. Drum roll please…
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 2/3   c. sugar
½ c. peanut butter
¼ c. veg. oil
3 tbsp. water
1 heaping tsp. instant coffee
¾ c.  cocoa powder
1 1/3 c. self rising flour
¼ tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease 13x9 pan
1.       Dissolve instant coffee in water, mix in eggs, sugar, peanut butter, vegetable oil, vanilla   and cocoa powder. Beat until smooth.
2.       Add flour and salt. Mix until combined. Batter will be abnormally, hella thick. Don’t worry, its right.
3.       Spread into pan (it’s easier if you lay a piece of plastic wrap over the ball and mush it out).
4.       Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.
5.       Try to let it cool before you eat the hell outta that deliciousness.
Now, onto the chicken... 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh my dear God.... These sounds so amazing that I don't have any idea how I ever lived with out adding instant coffee or peanut butter to my brownies....maybe I'll add Bailey's and Butterscotch Schnapps too... or instead..