Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Story of Richard


I’ve always wanted a favorite mug. I don’t know why, I just want one that is only mine. I am a hard core coffee drinker and felt like I needed to enhance my addiction with an unnatural dependence on a special cup. I searched the corners of the earth looking for just the right candidate but always found everything too small, too heavy or too polka-dotty, so I always I reverted back to the plain black mugs in kitchen.

One day Dewie and I were rummaging through a thrift store looking for treasure when we happened upon the brightest, prettiest orange mug in all the land. Since orange is my favorite color, I felt this must be fate. I gingerly picked up the mug that was destined to be my new best friend, admiring it’s clunky 70’s style and feeling the weight in my hand. I turned it around and my heart dropped. In a cloudy white splotch was the previous owner’s name, “Richard.” Boo.

Perhaps this particular mug was not meant to be my personal vessel in which I would carry my precious nectar of the gods. And that’s when it spoke to me. “But I’m orange and awesome, Molly. We need each other.” It was then that I realized that Richard was not the previous owner’s name; it was the cup’s name. Of course! I gleefully paid 75 cents for my new companion while ignoring the disapproval emanating from my girlfriend. As I lovingly wrapped Richard in paper and strapped it into the back seat, I heard her mumble,

“I not calling that cup Richard.”

“Yes you are.”

And she does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone needs a personal mug for those mornings when it's hard to focus and the world is a little foggy. It's not only handy,because you readily recognize it, but it's like a warm friend.
Good stuff!

Bob the Pool Maker said...

That is hilarious! Personally, my coffee mug has two names. One for before my first cup in the morning, and one for after.