Monday, August 22, 2011

It's in the Bag

For some weird reason, my girlfriend belongs to the tiny population of people who cannot operate a Ziploc bag. This disorder became obvious during an incident with a re-sealable bag of delicious sweet potato tots. I go to cook up some delicious tots, and I noticed that the whole bag was in another Ziploc bag. (By the way, Ziploc should be paying me, that’s the second time I’ve mentioned the brand) The following conversation ensued:
“Why are these delicious sweet potato tots in two bags?”
“I didn’t want to lose the directions.”
“But it’s re-sealable. You didn’t need a second bag.” This is when I noticed that the bag looked as if it had been opened by a person with no hands and only one good tooth. “Wait, what the hell?”
“It didn’t open right and I couldn’t get it closed.”
“Clearly you can’t get it closed, there’s only about 2 inches of the zipper left.”
“I didn’t notice it was re-sealable.” Granted it was the kind where the zipper portion is on the front of the bag rather than the top, but still there are those giant bold type letters on the front that advertise that it’s re-sealable. Maybe she just urgently needed some delicious sweet potato tots.
A few weeks later I go to get a hotdog out of the fridge and notice that the package is also re-sealable, and it is actually “closed,” however, it’s split up both sides and hot dog juice is leaking out. I would ask her why she didn’t put it in another bag, but after the delicious sweet potato tots incident, I’m afraid I might know the answer to that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your girlfriend on this one. Those "re-sealable" bags are re-sealable only in theory.......you have to mutilate them to get them open, so the possibility of getting them to "re-seal" is pretty remote!! Lots of double-bagging at my house!
Great blog...keep 'em coming.

Anonymous said...

It's not only "re-sealable" bags but the whole packaging industry! How many boxes have you been able to open and then insert flap to close? How many chip bags have torn like a woman giving birth when pulled open?
And who can keep up with those plastic bread bag closers? I just save myself a lot of frustration by removing them in the store and tying the bag shut.
I totally agree with your Zip lock comments. These are great keep them coming.

Holly said...

I too an one of "those people"...for me, there's such such an urgency to get the food out that I could care less about how I'm going to close the package back. This is why I have ziploc bags of every size, in giant quantities at all times. And if course they must be the kind with the colors so you know when you actually get it right...what does yellow and green make again?

Molly Jarrard said...

You guys are just funny. Dewie says exactly that, the "re-sealable" bags are just a scam, they're never really meant to be re-sealed. It's funny, I never have any problems with them. I don't know how many times I've told her, "Blue and yellow make green." Thanks for reading!!! :D