Friday, January 20, 2012

Political Asylum

Just because I don’t endlessly discuss politics does not mean I don’t care what’s happening in this country.  I would wager that roughly half of the posts on my Facebook page and maybe a third of my personal emails contain some sort of political agenda. A large majority of my friends and family obsessively discuss, debate and rant about potential presidential candidates, and frankly, I’m bored.

No matter how many times you express your opinions, people will always hear what they want to hear. Discussing political views with anyone that disagrees with you is like having an argument with a three year old. No matter what you say, you’re going to get mostly “nuh-uhhhh,” “I know you are but what am I?” and “You’re stupid.” type of responses. It’s exhausting and fraught with circular reasoning.  People you once liked and thought reasonably intelligent are suddenly deemed imbecilic jackasses. Discussions of this sort are a big fat waste of time and energy and usually end with a feeling of wanting to stab someone. Why would I purposely allow others to fill my own head with hopelessness and rage? I can do that just fine on my own. Debating politics with someone that agrees with you is just as pointless, unless you’re in desperate need of a mutual stroke fest which will again eventually end in that same hopeless rage once you compare notes of the number of idiots that you know that are blindly misinformed.

I stay informed. I listen to what the candidates have to say. I process it, and then keep it to myself. I don’t want to be angry with everyone I know, and I don’t want to feel like the world is full of idiots that will ultimately destroy themselves and everyone around them.

Now if you want to eat, sleep and breathe politics, that’s totally your right, but I don’t have to engage in your pointless arguments. Good luck to you. I hope the constant stress doesn’t make your heart explode.


No comments: